Wednesday, August 11, 2010

behind the scenes: rooted

{photo taken at rocky mountain national park}

so, if you have been following my blog for long (which is maybe 2 people :) you know i am reading through the One Year Chronological Bible by Tyndale House Publishers. a friend and i meet for accountability so that we press through, and it turns out for me that the book of jeremiah has been a hard, long book to read through.

it makes me want to SCREAM!
or cry.
or roll my eyes.

i mean, seriously people of israel, how many more times does God need to give the warning of destruction due to the penalty of sin, and how many times does He say He will relent if ONLY His people would turn toward Him and repent! (oh, the answer to that would be EVERY CHAPTER i think!)

so, yes, the book is sad because the people have hardened their hearts and refuse to listen to the warnings, which is why jeremiah is known as the crying prophet.

but, then, there are these glimmer-of-hope verses that i'll come across like a breath of fresh air and keep me going:

But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.

He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit.

Jeremiah 17:7-8

such a rich verse amidst the desert like conditions of emptiness in a barren land full of corruption.

and, here is the final art, available here.

Lord, may i keep my heart soft to Your ways, hear Your voice, and obey so that i will be firmly rooted in You and bear much fruit for Your Kingdom!

grace & peace,
julie

1 comment:

pfd said...

Oh my goodness... I think we are soul sisters! I am reading through the Chronological Bible too and I could barely contain myself with frustration when reading about the Isrealites! (And then I wonder if I do that to God in my own way too.) Aside from that I absolutely love tree roots! So of course, I love your featured verses today. Great post!