Wednesday, August 4, 2010

behind the scenes: thankful heart

i created this art about a month ago due to a little inner struggle i've had in my own heart. you see, i have soooooo much to be thankful for, and yet sometimes, i honestly just want more. the problem starts when i begin in my head "the comparison game"... i will spend time looking at other artists i admire, DEMDACO artists and others i just love, and start thinking, "wow, i do not sell as much as them..." or "how on earth do they run this huge successful business with 3 kids about the ages of mine?!" ... and on and on it goes...

then the guilt settles in and basically, it's a no win situation.

now, don't get me wrong: dreaming big is a good thing. it's a matter of your heart's motive & the road along the way.

one of my favorite singers, karin bergquist of over the rhine, has a tattoo on her arm of a hummingbird and below it you read, ‎"Comparison is the thief of joy"

wow. how true that is.

there will always be someone smarter, richer, cuter, more successful, more popular . . . you name it! so, i need to learn to not compare!

i have this friend whom decided along with his wife to try to not complain about anything, but rather see the good in things and have a thankful heart, giving praise to his Lord. that was really challenging to me.

i cannot say i've been successful in this, but i can say that it is on my heart. to be thankful in the little things and not just the big dreams. to recognize the awesome life God has given me and give the glory back to Him.

(sidenote on photography: i shot this image in my neighbor's beautiful yard, though he does not even know it... i love his green thumb ability & the fact that i can enjoy his beautiful landscaping without having to slave over it :) (i felt like the hydrangeas were just bursting and they give me so much joy to look at)

so, here is my new art.

thankful hearts bring much joy.

tis true my friends!

grace & peace,
julie
OH, 2 quick things before you go:
1. for the month of august i am giving away a free 4x6 matted Scripture print with any purchase in the shop!
2. check out my post on doing craft shows over here at Oh My!Handmade goodness

1 comment:

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Hydrangeas are in my top 5 favorite flowers! Gorgeous new print!