Monday, September 12, 2011

remembering

{art available here}

Yesterday, I spent some time praying for the survivors of 09.11.01 and remembering the many heroes of that day. The real life examples of the above mentioned verse.

I will never forget that day. I was just pulling into Tyndale House Publishers when I heard on the radio, "ANOTHER plane has hit the Towers!" and so, baffled I went in and told my boss who promptly got onto the internet to look up what I had mentioned (the radio people did not really understand at that time what was going on either.)

Within an hour, all of us were watching the events via tv satellite in the chapel in utter shock. We turned it off and one of the leaders of Tyndale got up to lead us in prayer. I remember helping the president of the company look up the following verse:

Then if my people who are called by my name
will humble themselves and pray and seek my face
and turn from their wicked ways,
I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins
and restore their land.
—2 Chronicles 7:14 NLT

I also remember later that night the eerie "quietness" of the sky. At the time, we lived in an area in which it we regularly saw many planes flying into O'Hare, but they cancelled all flights for the rest of that day.


{Art available here}

September 11, 2011 also hit me in a deep way as both my father & brother are firemen and to see the NYC department sacrifice their lives for the sake of others, just as Jesus has done for us on the cross, was a very powerful and humbling experience. I KNOW both my father & brother would have been in those buildings if duty called them there.

Tyndale House, the publisher whom I design book covers for, released the book Let's Roll based on Lisa Beamer's biography of her life with Todd as well as the events of that day. At the time, she was pregnant with their 3rd child. I am sure all of you remember her strength, grace, and poise as she went to Washington D.C. and other events to represent the families of victims.

I often wonder what ever happened to her and her family and wish them much grace and peace on this day.

grace & peace,
Julie

No comments: